Gokedosama Ray!





Ray LOVES to Run!! In Japanese, the word "gokedosama" means someone who sticks with and finishes the race, someone who perseveres and endures the tough times. Ray is a hero to me and many people and a great example of someone who sets goals and sticks with them until he accomplishes or surpasses the goal. He has done this with running many, many times. I am often impressed at how many times he tops his personal best (PB). Each year his company holds a 5k run in the spring - he's won it every year he's run. I was able to video his run this year - it was fun to see the living legend in action. He recently got an opportunity to run leg 10 of the Ragnar Relay - Wasatch Back race. He made some amazing friends and had a great time. But what impressed me most is as he ran the most difficult leg "the ragnar" - 4 miles up-hill over Guardsman's Pass, he commented at the crest of the peak how he felt such an emotional release/relief to have accomplished such a difficult run. Of course, I wasn't surprised when I learned he placed 4th in that leg overall and 1st in his age group. When he encouraged me a few years ago to run longer distances, I was a little reluctant. I had always run, after a soccer ball that is. However, I never quite developed the passion for running he had. I started running longer distance and was quite amazed that it has developed into something I also enjoy. He always motivates me to do better and to challenge myself. He is a great inspiration to me - he is dedicated and it shows! Run Ray Run!